Connect With The Community
Loving God, Loving Others, and Serving Our Community
We seek to freely give of ourselves in service to others in ways that demonstrate God’s love. When we are able to put others before ourselves, we share by example the wonderful power of love and grace that God has given through Jesus Christ.
Cana has a long history of sharing its space with the Berkley community.
Berkley is a neighborhood overflowing with young children. Through our congregation’s partnership with the Berkley Moms Club we are transforming our former nursery into a high-quality indoor play space. “The Backyard Playroom” cultivates a safe space for children five and under to play, learn, and thrive. It is a place for parents/grandparents to connect and relax, and is our gift to the young families who reside in Berkley, Huntington Woods, Oak Park, and Royal Oak.
Berkley’s Backyard Playroom
Drop-in and Play
Children 5yrs and younger (accompanied by adult)
Tuesdays & Fridays 9:30am- 12noon
Free to the community
Cana is excited to offer a place for parents to take a breath, connect with one another, and enjoy watching their young children learn and grow through imaginative play. The day begins with a 15 minute story-time at 10am, followed by unstructured playtime until noon. We are open to the public and invited to come and go as you please! (*Note: parents must be present while children are playing. This is not a drop-off service.)
Once a month we will offer a special Friday event like Music & Rhythm Day, Big Boxes Day, Parent & Child Yoga day, etc.
Service Opportunities in Our Community
God has blessed everyone with gifts and passions for serving. When we share our gifts with those around us, we help develop a closer relationship with God and feel the rewards tenfold.
The Servant Ministry Team is dedicated to providing service both within Cana and out in the world such as:
- World Hunger Appeal
- CROP Walk
- St. John’s Food Closet
- Lutheran World Relief Clothing
- Advent Tree of Needs
- Lutheran Social Services of Michigan
- Retired Cana Men’s Program (RCMP)A group of handymen who meet for fellowship & replace, fix, paint, refinish, and install items in the church.
- South Oakland Warming Center is a two-week rotational multi-church ministry providing shelter and meals to the homeless in our area during the winter months each year.
- W.E.L.C.A. (Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) An auxiliary of the Lutheran church to which all of the women of the church belong. They provide services such as: Funeral luncheons, Blanket Workshop, Knitting Group, etc.